UN Security Council adopts resolution expanding sanctions on North Korea..North Korea says it ends peace pacts with South
The UN Security Council has adopted a resolution expanding sanctions against North Korea. The new resolution, which was drafted by the US and China, was in response to Pyongyang’s third nuclear test.
The resolution was approved unanimously by the 15-nation council, after three weeks of negotiations between the US and China.
It calls on the implementation of tighter financial restrictions on North Korea, and for a crack down on its attempts to ship and receive banned cargo in breach of UN sanctions. It also calls on states to deny aircraft permission to take off, land or fly over their territory if illicit cargo is suspected to be on board.
The resolution condemns North Korea’s latest nuclear test “in the strongest terms” for violating council resolutions, bans further ballistic missile launches, nuclear tests “or any other provocation,” and demands that North Korea return to the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.
It goes on to condemn North Korea’s ongoing nuclear activities, including its uranium enrichment. It stresses the UN Security Council’s commitment “to a peaceful, diplomatic and political solution,” and urges that six-party nuclear talks be resumed.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the council’s move, saying that the resolution “sent an unequivocal message to (North Korea) that the international community will not tolerate its pursuit of nuclear weapons.”
In anticipation of the resolution’s adoption, North Korea previously threatened to cancel the 1953 ceasefire that ended the Korean War.
On Thursday, a spokesman for North Korea’s Foreign Ministry said his country may deliver a pre-emptive nuclear strike against its enemies in case an attack on Pyongyang is launched.
“Since the United States is about to ignite a nuclear war, we will be exercising our right to a preemptive nuclear attack against the headquarters of the aggressor in order to protect our supreme interest,” said the statement carried by the official KCNA news agency.
North Korea says it is scrapping all non-aggression pacts with South Korea, closing its hotline with Seoul and closing the crossing point between the two countries.
The announcement follows a fresh round of UN sanctions against Pyongyang over its controversial nuclear programme.
The UN resolution was in response to the North’s nuclear test last month.
Earlier, Pyongyang vowed to use its right to a pre-emptive nuclear strike against its “aggressors”.
The latest announcement, carried on North Korea’s state news agency, says the North is cancelling all non-aggression pacts with the South and closing the main Panmunjom border crossing inside the Demilitarized Zone.
It said it was notifying the South that it was “immediately” cutting off the North-South hotline.
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is also reported to have visited front-line military units that were involved in the 2010 shelling of a South Korean island.
He is said to have urged the soldiers there to keep themselves ready to “annihilate the enemy” at any time, and reconfirmed so-called “enemy targets” on five islands in the West Sea.
Earlier, the UN Security Council unanimously backed Resolution 2094, imposing the fourth set of sanctions against the North.
this is a full on show made for TV..its propaganda from both sides..as if the west is even remotely worried about being attacked by NK..NK would be turned into a glass skating rink in 3 minutes..NK will never strike first..it might fire some bullets but it wont even attempt to hit anyone in a preemptive strike..
china siding with the UN is significant..they must need something..
see the mural in the chamber?..strange thing to have in a secular meeting room eh?