WHO says new coronavirus..6 new SARS-like cases detected in Saudi Arabia..spreading worldwide,boosting media coffers
The World Health Organization says it appears likely that the novel coronavirus (NCoV) can be passed between people in close contact.
This comes after the French health ministry confirmed a second man had contracted the virus in a possible case of human-to-human transmission.
Two more people in Saudi Arabia are also reported to have died from the virus, according to health officials.
NCoV is known to cause pneumonia and sometimes kidney failure.
World Health Organization (WHO) officials have expressed concern over the clusters of cases of the new coronavirus strain and the potential for it to spread.
Since 2012, there have been 33 confirmed cases across Europe and the Middle East, with 18 deaths, according to a recent WHO update.
Cases have been detected in Saudi Arabia and Jordan and have spread to Germany, the UK and France.
“Of most concern… is the fact that the different clusters seen in multiple countries increasingly support the hypothesis that when there is close contact this novel coronavirus can transmit from person to person,” theWorld Health Organization said on Sunday.
“This pattern of person-to-person transmission has remained limited to some small clusters and so far, there is no evidence to suggest the virus has the capacity to sustain generalised transmission in communities,” the statement adds.
Saudi state media, citing the Health Ministry, reported four new cases on Monday and two more on Tuesday in Eastern Province, which has most of the cases in the kingdom.
The ministry said that a total of 30 people were infected by the deadly coronavirus in the kingdom, and 15 of them died.
“Two new confirmed infections were registered in Eastern Province,” the ministry said on its website, adding that those infected were nurses and “are receiving needed treatment and medical care”.
The ministry had said on Monday that among the four other new cases, “one of the people has recovered and discharged, while the other three are still being treated”.
On Sunday, Saudi Health Minister Abdullah al-Rabia said the kingdom had a total of 24 confirmed cases since the disease was identified last year.
“The number of people who contracted the virus in the kingdom since August/September is 24, of whom 15 have died,” al-Rabia told a news conference in Riyadh.
In addition, Al Rabie said three more people are suspected of having contracted the virus in Saudi Arabia.
The novel coronavirus, also known as nCoV-EMC, is a cousin of SARS. The virus first emerged in the Middle East, and was discovered on September 2012 in a Qatari man who had recently traveled to Saudi Arabia.
Cases have been reported in Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the UAE, Qatar, Britain and Germany, and health officials have said the virus has likely already spread between people in some circumstances.
Saudi Arabia has confirmed four more cases of the new deadly coronavirus, contributing to global fears over the disease’s spread. Panic of this type has been boosting media ratings and has kept the drugs market bubbling over the last decade.
Four more confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus (nCoV) see the total number of infected in Saudi Arabia reach 28 since the disease was first identified in 2012. Ten more people have been reported to have nCoV in other parts of the world – Jordan, Germany, Britain and France.
One of the freshly-confirmed sick Saudis had already been treated and released from hospital, while three others are still receiving medical assistance, according to the Saudi Press Agency, cited by Reuters.
This surge in the number of detected nCoV cases could result from the fact that overwhelming numbers of Saudis, even those with slightest fever symptoms, have rushed to hospitals for fears of the new virus, which has been deadliest in Saudi Arabia, claiming 15 lives. The disease’s global death toll is 18.
Swiss-produced Tamiflu. Back at the time of the swine flu pandemic, four years ago, it was pronounced cure number one for the disease. People were sweeping the drug from pharmacies’ shelves, governments stockpiled it.
Then came the eye-opener - a study published in the British Medical Journal in December 2009 found no evidence that Tamiflu lowered the risk of flu complications.
The Council of Europe eventually wanted WHO to be called to account, and possibly admit that the swine flu threat was blown out of proportion.
Overblown or not, the swine flu panic landed an estimated US$18 billion in the pockets of pharmaceutical companies’ owners.
better watch this one closely..a new swine flu?..its about time i guess..big pharma getting hungry again..