South Sudan: UN troops killed in attack on base..hundreds dead..Rebels kill nearly 1000 in Central African Republic
The United Nations has lost contact with one of its bases in South Sudanas continued fighting between rebels and government forces increased fears the world’s youngest state was sliding towards civil war.
The UN said it has lost contact with a base stormed by attackers and at least three peacekeepers and civilian staff are unaccounted for.
UN deputy spokesman Farhan Haq said 40 Indian peacekeepers at the base at Akobo in Jonglei state had been moved to a nearby South Sudan army camp, but that three peacekeepers and possibly one civilian worker were missing.
An Indian UN envoy later said three of its peacekeepers had been killed.
The fate of more than 30 ethnic Dinka civilians who had taken refuge at the Akobo base was also not known, Haq added.
“We are no longer in contact with the Akobo base,” Haq said.
The attack on the UN base came after troops loyal to fugitive former vice president Riek Machar seized the town of Bor late Wednesday, army spokesman Philip Aguer said, as fighting continued in eastern Jonglei state.
President Salva Kiir has blamed the bloodshed on a coup bid by his perennial rival Machar, who says the alleged overthrow was a fabrication to cover up a regime purge.
Kiir has said he was ready to “sit down” but Machar, who was sacked by the president in July, rejected the offer.
In an interview with RFI radio Thursday, Machar said he had appealed to the ruling party and army “to remove Salva Kiir from the leadership of the country”.
Some 450 people have been killed in the capital Juba since battles broke out on Sunday, including around 100 soldiers, Aguer said.
The battles have raised concerns of ethnic conflict, with Kiir coming from the majority Dinka people and Machar from the Nuer.
The Central African Republic’s mostly Muslim ex-rebels killed nearly 1000 people in the capital Bangui two weeks ago in a rampage avenging deadly Christian militia attacks, Amnesty International has said in a report.
The death toll was significantly higher than earlier estimates by the United Nations, which spoke of 450 killed in Bangui and another 150 elsewhere in the country.
The two-day spasm of violence by fighters from the former Seleka rebel group came after Christian militias known as “anti-balaka” (anti-machete) went door-to-door in some districts in the capital “and killed approximately 60 Muslim men”, Amnesty said on Thursday.
“The de facto government forces, known as ex-Seleka, retaliated on a larger scale against Christians in the wake of the attack, killing nearly 1000 men over a two-day period and systematically looting civilian homes. A small number of women and children were also killed.”
Its report was based on a two-week fact-finding mission to the Central African Republic, which has been mired in chaos since March, when Seleka took power and ousted the previous government.
two countries with two different conflicts..both will bring international forces to their areas and obama was quick to get that happening..ironic to see the UN react so quickly now especially when THEY lose troops..what happened in rwanda all those years ago? everything was in slo-mo then..