A leading human rights group says it has strong evidence Ukraine attacked populated areas of Donetsk with cluster bombs, banned by many other states.
Human Rights Watch (HRW) accuses the army of using the deadly weapon, which scatters bomblets, to shell the rebel-held city earlier this month.
Ukrainian forces denied using “banned weapons” or shelling civilian areas.
Violence has continued in eastern Ukraine despite a ceasefire which came into place on 5 September.
At least 3,700 people have been killed in the conflict which broke out in April between Ukrainian forces and pro-Russian separatist rebels in the eastern regions of Donetsk and Luhansk.
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko agreed in a telephone conversation on Tuesday with his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin that the ceasefire agreed on 5 September should be fully observed, Mr Poroshenko’s office said.
“While it was not possible to conclusively determine responsibility for many of the attacks, the evidence points to Ukrainian government forces’ responsibility for several cluster munition attacks on Donetsk,” it found.
“It is shocking to see a weapon that most countries have banned used so extensively in eastern Ukraine,” said Mark Hiznay, senior arms researcher at HRW.
Ukraine did not sign up to the 2008 global treaty banning cluster bombs.
Responding to the report, Ukrainian “anti-terrorist operation” spokesman Vladyslav Seleznyov described the accusations as “utter nonsense”.
“We do not use banned weapons,” he told AFP news agency by telephone. “Neither do we shell civilian neighbourhoods because this endangers lives.”
The Convention on Cluster Munitions has been ratified by 86 states while a further 28 have signed it. Russia and the US are among those that have not signed it.
there is no reason to doubt this..ukraine never signed the treaty banning them..where is the outrage?
3700 dead is nearly as many as the ebola plague yet its basically a non event in the news..