First Twitter war declaration?..Hamas says now in “open war” with Israel, promises “gates of hell”..claims missile strike on Tel Aviv
The days of declaring way with a lengthy proclamation signed by a prime minister or president are in the past. Israel announced on Tuesday that it was launching a strike on the Gaza Strip with a single tweet.
A message sent from the official Twitter account for the Israeli Defense Forces’ press department confirmed that the Jewish state has started a new round of action against their adversaries in what is believed to be the first time that a military campaign has been issued through the social media site.
“The IDF has begun a widespread campaign on terror sites & operatives in the #Gaza Strip, chief among them #Hamas & Islamic Jihad targets,” reads the message from the @IDFSpokesperson account. The IDF then confirmed over Twitter that additional strikes had seriously damaged Hamas’ long-range missile capabilities and an underground weapons storage facilities.
Moments later, the account confirmed that their first target, Ahmed Al-Jabari of the Ezzidine Al-Qassam Brigades, the Hamas’ military wing, had been hit in the attack. In a follow-up tweet, the IDF account says they have “embarked on an operation against Hamas, an Iranian proxy responsible for terror attacks on Israel.” They then warned that Hamas operatives should “show their faces” above ground in the coming days.
Shortly after, Hamas spokesman Fauazy Brehom confirmed to NBC News that Habari, the senior most commander of the organization’s military unit, had been killed in the attack. As a result, the Ezzidine Al-Qassam Brigades issued a statement saying that the IDF has “opened the gates of hell.”
Hamas says that it is now in a state of “open war” indefinitely with Israel after the killing of the Hamas commander Ahmed Jabari by an Israeli airstrike.
The assassination has “opened the gates of hell,” the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, the armed wing of Hamas, were quoted by AFP as saying.
“The occupation committed a dangerous crime and crossed all the red lines, which is considered a declaration of war,”he said in a statement. Hamas vowed to “continue the path of resistance.”
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has called for an immediate Arab League meeting in response to Wednesday’s attack.
Hamas’ armed wing claims to have shelled “the occupied city of Tel Aviv”. If true, this will have been the first Hamas missile to hit Israel’s largest city. Israel has denied the claim, slamming it as propaganda.
As soon as the first reports appeared on popular microblogging site Twitter, Tel Aviv began trending worldwide.
The the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades tweeted the claim, but so far, no confirmation is available.
Meanwhile, Israeli Defense Forces spokesperson Avital Leibovich took to her Twitter account to slam the claim as propaganda. She said “Clarification: no rockets were fired toTel Aviv. The rumors are part of Hamas propaganda.”
This latest bout of escalated violence happened after the Israeli Air Force (IAF) killed the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades leader Ahmed Jabari in an airstrike on his car in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday. Israel’s TV Channel 2 says his son and his bodyguard were also killed in the missile attack. There are reports that Raed al-Atar, the commander of Hamas’s southern division, was also killed.
Israeli Air Force strikes reportedly hit at least 20 rocket-launching pads belonging to Hamas and Islamic Jihad,“seriously damaging their long-range missile capabilities,” an Israeli military spokesman said. IDF tank fire also struck targets in Gaza. The IDF said it was willing to initiate a ground operation in Gaza to eliminate any further sources of rocket fire.
Hamas has in turn vowed to fight back, anc “continue the path of resistance”.
posting this straight away as things are deteriorating at a rapid rate..rocket attack on tel aviv still to be confirmed..