France: 90 potential suicide bombers roaming EU..Belgium attacked
A chilling internal French police report has revealed that as many as 90 “kamikazes” may be roaming the EU. The report also states how terrorists are mastering encryption and bomb making techniques to help them achieve their aims.
The 55-page testimony, which was produced exclusively for the French Interior Ministry and was seen by the New York Times, shows the scale of planning that went into the November 13 Paris terror attacks, including precise encryption, top level document forgers and even sending bomb makers from Syria to Europe.
The documents included interviews with both officials and witnesses and showed how Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) has evolved into being able to carry out terror attacks on such a grand scale.
The report shows that the bombs used by the terrorists were simple to make, but very effective. They found traces of the same explosives used at each of the sites in Paris which were attacked by suicide bombers.
The bomb maker who made the explosives had used triacetone triperoxide, or TATP, which can be made from everyday products such as bleach or nail polish remover – items which could be purchased without raising suspicion. However, the person putting the explosives together certainly knew what he or she was doing.
“Their ingredients, when combined, are highly unstable and can explode easily if mishandled,” said Peter Bergen, the director of the National Securities Studies Program at the New America Foundation, according to the New York Times.
“To make an effective TATP bomb requires real training, which suggests a relatively skilled bomb-maker was involved in the Paris plot, since the terrorists detonated several bombs. It also suggests that there was some kind of bomb factory that, as yet, appears to be undiscovered, because putting together such bombs requires some kind of dedicated space,” he added.
The report also states that a lack of border controls allowed the terrorists to move freely around Europe without arousing suspicion, while the inability of international governments to share intelligence also made it easier for the jihadists to avoid detection.
We don’t share information,” former head of French intelligence Alain Chouet told the New York Times. “We even didn’t agree on the translations of people’s names that are in Arabic or Cyrillic, so if someone comes into Europe through Estonia or Denmark, maybe that’s not how we register them in France or Spain.”
The documents released by French police also showed that the attackers did their utmost to keep themselves digitally hidden from the authorities. Police found numerous unused cell phones still in their packaging. There were also discarded phones which showed a number of calls had been made between Paris and Belgium – suggesting that the attackers had support from further afield.
Special forces and police have been put on standby to battle up to 10 simultaneous terror attacks on London.
To prevent a Paris-style attack in the capital, it is understood the National Crime Agency has been ordered to crackdown on firearms.
Agency bosses fear terrorists returning from Syria could carry out multiple attacks in London, spreading resources across the city.
But a minister told the Sunday Telegraph that UK special forces was well prepared for such an eventuality.
He told the paper: ‘We used to plan for three simultaneous attacks but Paris has shown that you need to be ready for more than that. We are ready if someone tries with seven, eight, nine, ten.’
The Army is also on standby outside London to aid the SAS and Metropolitan Police should there be multiple attacks.
According to the Telegraph, the Army’s counter terrorism bomb disposal unit is also putting together a team to combat chemical and biological weapons at a base in Didcot, Oxford.
The SAS is also conducting training exercises focused around dealing with improvised explosive devices (IEDs) that have been turned into weapons of mass destruction.
It comes after the capture of Paris massacre suspect Salah Abdeslam who had been on the run ever since the slaughter of 130 people in France four months ago.
More than 30 people are believed to have been killed and dozens injured in attacks at Brussels international airport and a city metro station.
Twin blasts hit Zaventem airport at about 07:00 GMT, with 11 people reported killed.
Another explosion struck Maelbeek metro station near EU headquarters an hour later, leaving about 20 people dead.
Brussels police have issued a wanted notice for a man seen pushing a luggage trolley through the airport.
He was pictured in CCTV footage with two other suspects who are believed to have died in the blasts.
The Islamic State (IS) group said it was behind the attacks in a statement issued on the IS-linked Amaq agency.
Belgium has raised its terrorism alert to its highest level. Three days of national mourning have been declared.
Prime Minister Charles Michel called the latest attacks “blind, violent and cowardly”, adding: “This is a day of tragedy, a black day… I would like to call on everyone to show calmness and solidarity”.
Two blasts tore through the departures area of Zaventem airport shortly after 08:00 local time (07:00 GMT).
A suicide bomber was “probably” involved, the Belgian prosecutor said.
Eleven people were killed and 81 wounded in the blasts, Belgian Health Minister Maggie de Block said.
i drafted this post yesterday and belgium got whacked last night..it will be interesting to see where these bombers originated from and how they entered europe or they maybe home grown..
brussels had full lock down drills late last year..that has become a very prophetic thing to do in hindsight..
do find it strange that salah was captured alive..i thought martyrs want to be..martyrs..but this guy has dodged it twice now..