Russia suspends weapons-grade plutonium deal with US


Russia has suspended an agreement with the US on the disposal of surplus weapons-grade plutonium, the latest sign of worsening bilateral relations.

In a decree, President Vladimir Putin accused the US of creating “a threat to strategic stability, as a result of unfriendly actions” towards Russia.

Moscow also set pre-conditions for the US for the deal to be resumed.

Under the 2000 deal, each side is supposed to get rid of 34 tonnes of plutonium by burning it in reactors.

It is part of cuts to nuclear forces.

The US state department said the combined 68 tonnes of plutonium was “enough material for approximately 17,000 nuclear weapons”. Both sides had reconfirmed the deal in 2010.

In a separate development, the US said it was suspending talks with Russia over the Syrian crisis.

Washington said Moscow had not lived up to the terms of last month’s ceasefire agreement, which has since collapsed.

Russia said it regretted the decision, accusing the US of trying to shift the blame on to Russia over the failed deal.

In April, Mr Putin said the US was failing to fulfil its obligations to destroy plutonium. Instead, he argued, the US reprocessing method allowed plutonium to be extracted and used again in nuclear weapons.

Both sides had agreed to build special facilities for disposing of the surplus plutonium.

“We fulfilled our duties, we built that enterprise. But our American partners did not,” Mr Putin said.

The US rejected that claim, insisting that its disposal method did not violate the agreement.


tit for tat..things are definitely coming to a head in syria now..the hysteria from the UN and associated groups is constant now..

“In a separate development, the US said it was suspending talks with Russia over the Syrian crisis.”


~ by seeker401 on October 5, 2016.

7 Responses to “Russia suspends weapons-grade plutonium deal with US”


    • thanks isabel..

    • “The UN’s first attempt to capture America was in 1951, under a top secret program titled, “operation AGGRESSI.”

      In strange fashion, forces flying the flag of the United Nations began to occupy small towns and cities across the United States. This was intended to test the will of the people and see if they would accept a UN “takeover.” The test failed and sparked controversy and concerns over a “revolution-in-the-making” that would destroy any plot formulated by the Council on Foreign Relations and the United Nations.

      Project AGGRESSI forces were quickly met with much resistance and silently left occupied government buildings and removed United Nation flags nationwide. Jewish broadcaster Myron C. Fagan documented the secretive operation in the 1960’s claiming “the UN ‘invasions’ were intended to be completely hush-hush. The Mass Media were very accommodating and the local newspapers and Radio Stations in the ‘invaded’ cities were kept silent under order of the UN. However, in several of the cities the local police refused to be ‘captured’. That caused quite an uproar — true, only locally, but it threatened to spread nationwide, especially after troops and officers assigned to additional ‘invasion units’ refused to ‘serve’. The alarmed plotters hastily halted all further ‘invasions’.””

  2. Reblogged this on World Peace Forum.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: