Isis loses control of Sirte as Libyan pro-government forces say battle is over

libya-isis

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/isis-sirte-libya-pro-government-forces-say-battle-for-city-is-over-a7456481.html

Libyan pro-government forces say they have driven Isis militants out of the last neighbourhood of Sirte, declaring the battle for control of the city is over.

Backed by US air strikes, forces loyal to Libya’s unity government have been fighting for more than six months to drive the militants out of their North African stronghold.

Earlier on Monday, more than a dozen Isis fighters who had been holding out in Sirte surrendered to Libyan forces, officials said.

And Rida Issa, a spokesman for the joint offensive against Isis in the city, said forces led by brigades from the western city of Misrata “control all of Sirte’s Ghiza Bahriya neighbourhood and are still securing the area”.

Once a city of 80,000 people, Sirte has suffered severe civilian casualties as Isis has been accused of using the local population as human shields.

Reports estimated that as long ago as the end of October there were just 100 Isis fighters remaining holed up in houses in Ghiza Bahriya.

The protracted final stages of the campaign to liberate Sirte, which began on 12 May 2016, bodes ill for the operation to clear the much larger city of Mosul in Iraq.

Isis first took over Sirte in early 2015, setting it up as its most important base outside the group’s core territories in the Middle East and expanding its control along about 150 miles of Mediterranean coastline.

In recent days, Libyan forces say dozens of women and children have left the last group of buildings controlled by militants, and three more women fled on Monday.

The presence of the families has been one of the factors complicating attempts to push forward into the final sliver of land held by Isis, while several women have carried out suicide attacks as they were being granted safe passage.

Meanwhile, Western-backed Iraqi forces have begun shelling parts of west Mosul, residents said, preparing to open a new front against Isis seven weeks into a tortuous campaign to drive the militants from the city.

———-

some ex black flag wavers defeated some black flag wavers and some other flag wavers are in control..think light blue color..

“Backed by US air strikes, forces loyal to Libya’s unity government have been fighting for more than six months to drive the militants out of their North African stronghold.”

irony..

US air strikes allowed the militants in originally..

401

Advertisements

~ by seeker401 on December 8, 2016.

2 Responses to “Isis loses control of Sirte as Libyan pro-government forces say battle is over”

  1. Why is no one ask about Qatar and its role in this mess in the middle east? Aljazeera is work for ISIS !!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: